Friday 28 October 2016

Chapter Five: “Mark Denton Citizenship Test” 28. 10. 2016

There is a particular palpable silence when two people both begin to suspect the other's sanity. Unfortunately for Darren he lacked the luxury of appealing to common sense when “common” seemed to be entirely redefined for miles around him. The silver-haired and eyed woman tapped her foot impatiently, clearly adverse to wasting time and money on the frightening electronic box surrounding them. A “mod” called “personal space” was how she described it but to Darren it could only be perceived as sorcery and the breaking point of this unsettling unfamiliar environment he had stumbled into.

“Well?”
“I'm not taking my clothes off.”
“Why not?”
“Because I'm in the middle of the street, you're a complete stranger and I don't even know how it would help in working out my identity.” Darren scratches his head at such a case where he even has to explain why this request is weird and intrusive. The woman removes her long black coat.
“Would it help if I did it too?”
“Hm?-No!” Darren hesitated for perhaps a second too long. “Can you not just believe I'm not a hospital escapee? I mean, how do I know you're not the crazy person?”

“What would it matter to you if I was? You approached me.” There is another lengthy silence between them. Darren considers his options but all appear limited or unappealing. Despite her abrasiveness and possible sexual predator conviction, this woman was still the most normal-looking person around.

What kind of sense would he glean trying to talk to the rainbow-suited dog-brained businessman? Or the metallic-nippled invincible-beard gang leader? He had to persevere with this. Besides it was probably all a terrible fever dream or hallucination from hitting his head in the factory. He would probably wake up soon and everything would be back to normal...Dull, dreary normality...

“Okay fine, I'm doing it, just tell me how it's going to help.” Darren begins clumsily removing his work uniform shirt. Originally grey but stained with enough fudge to as appear brown patterned, he notices that he has long since lost his apron with no recollection of when exactly. This strikes Darren as another irregularity in detail consistent with dreaming helping cement the idea in his mind.

Glancing back at the misty white forcefield, the circus-clothed citizens walk on by briskly and indifferent to Darren fidgeting awkwardly before a strange woman in only his boxers.
“Why have you stopped?” Darren glares at the woman in disbelief.
“You're joking right?” The woman shakes her head in a patronising fashion, she taps the pebbles at the side of her head and the visor flicks around her eyeline again.

Darren continues telling himself it's just a dream despite his repeated pinching and mental gymnastics to wake himself up all proving fruitless. He takes a deep breath and yanks down his boxers trying to mask his embarrassment with misplaced authoritative interrogation.
“Well? Find the answer you're looking for?” The woman's expression is one of confusion as she eyes him up and down. Darren was bracing himself for amusement, disgust, anger and pity but was not prepared to see his naked body outright confusing someone.

“You're naked.” This being the paltry conclusion to a deeply intrusive and unexplained demand sets the spark to Darren's temper.
“What the fuck? You just told me-Of course I bloody am it...What the fuck is wrong with you?”
“What's wrong with you?
“Wh...Y, you can't just say that to a naked guy! Are you trying to demolish my self-esteem?”

“I'm not talking about clothes naked, I mean you've got no mods or implants or anything.”
“...Well no, I mean I've had a few fillings but-”
“If you were in hospital they'd have marked you or attached a bracelet. People can shift them around but they can't take them off without the codes from the nurses...So...I guess you're like some backwards, technophobe villager although even they get mods for like diseases and stuff.”

“Okay, I don't really get what you're saying but can I put my clothes back on now?” The woman seems to have become less prickly, faced with something apparently she can't understand for a change.
“Yeah, go for it.” Her voice is distant and indifferent. Darren scrambles to get dressed as quickly as possible. The woman flicks her visor on and off several times before coming to some kind of decision. Darren stands for a while adjusting himself and trying to look like he didn't just gracelessly debase himself at a random woman's request. He checks through the forcefield again but beyond the misty wall, not a soul seems aware of their conversation or their movements within the box.

“Look, you seemed really uncomfortable with the whole naked thing so I feel like I owe you.” Darren decides to ignore the implication anyone else would be fine with stripping bare in the street but notes that the pity he expected has finally arrived. “If you're lost or brained or whatever's going on I can help you find a hospital or something if you want.”

“Wait, I thought we got past this?”
“No I don't mean the prison terminal, I don't think you're shit-circuited anymore but if you dunno where you are maybe you injured yourself.” Darren struggles to decipher the woman's bizarre language. Does she think hospitals have terminals like airports? Is there an insanely huge hospital here that has to be detailed by terminals? She also seems to think a psychiatric ward is akin to a prison.

“I kind of thought I'd have woken up by now to be honest.”
“Unless you're blitzing on some kind of biomod, which is impossible now I've seen you naked, you're not dreaming.” Darren furrows his brow, bombarded with yet more new words and starting to lose confidence in his comforting resignation that this is a semi-lucid dream or the hallucinogenic death throes of excess fudge poisoning.

Marginally more sympathetic, the woman takes a step towards Darren and switches off her visor. “Normally I'd just Ping you my profile but I guess if you're all retro we can just shake hands. My name's Myriad.” Darren sighs, feeling stressed by this new world but is grateful for even an imitation of something familiar. He shakes the woman's hand and forces a smile, her fragmented silver eyes seem to pierce through his own as though he were transparent, or perhaps he just still feels vulnerable having been naked moments before.

“I'm Darren, nice to eventually meet you Miriam.” Darren exhales trying to lighten the mood with a joke but his new acquaintance seems less than impressed.
“Not Miriam, Myriad. Myriad Bethlehem.”
“You're name is...I, okay never mind for now.” Myriad crosses her arms and again gives Darren the cold analytical squint.
“You really must be from some ultra-stiff little bubble bush.”
“If the half of that I understood means what I think, I didn't think Droyslden or Manchester were particularly remote until now. I mean the factory where I worked is literally just over there.”
“The chocolate factory?”
“Yeah.”

Myriad goes silent and contemplative again. Darren is grateful to have reached some kind of placated parley with her but can't help feeling a less secretive and private person would have explained a lot more to him, both quicker and easier.
“Why is that so strange?” Darren asks. Myriad flicks her visor on for a few seconds. If you look closely you can see images and words appearing reflected backwards on the immaterial screen but before Darren can pinpoint much the visor flicks back off.

“Where exactly is the factory?” Again, she seems physically averse to providing a straight answer.
“A few streets back that way.” Darren points down the streets he came from, his finger clipping through the forcefield and probably appearing quite strange to passers-by as a disembodied index finger...Then again, given his sights here so far maybe that's entirely normal.
“This is why I'm thinking you're brained or spinning on some drug date. There's no factory back there and proper chocolate doesn't exist anymore.”

Darren's eyebrows crash into a mass hair pile up on the road to his forehead. Quite exhausted by the relentless barrage of weird today has thrown at him, Darren can only blink in baffled disarray and disbelief at the statement. Myriad watches him closely as this revelation unfolds. Neither of them notice the “Personal Space” forcefield flickering around them.
“The only thing beyond the city in that direction are fields and an old restricted archaeology site that you wouldn't be able to even get near.”

Darren looks to the floor and is silent for a long time. He puts his hands in his pockets and exhales several times. He chuckles to himself in a pitch dangerously close to hysterical. Myriad takes a step back and fixes her sight on him carefully.
“Darren?”
“I, er...Your visor thingy. I noticed something on it the last time it was on.”
“Oh my Bridge? Only my nan calls it a visor.”
“Heh, well I think I spotted the time down in the corner there. Just after half nine is it?”
“The...” Myriad freezes with a realisation. Apparently the same realisation that is breaking Darren's mind apart in front of her.
“It's not the time is it?”

Darren finally looks up with a demented half-grin as though he can't decide if he should be happy or angry. His eyes slightly better reflect the distraught cognitive combustion imploding and rupturing within his consciousness.

Myriad had considered the possibility long before it dawned on Darren but unlike Darren who had no other explanation, Myriad never entertained more than a shred of the idea being at all plausible. Upon witnessing Darren's conflicted internal collapse though even her intensely sceptical barriers are lowered somewhat by how genuine his mental breakdown appears to be.

Before either of them can reach a word to puncture the searing silent atmosphere of confusion, someone else reaches through the Personal Space and grabs Darren's arm. Suddenly and violently, he is dragged through the supposedly private conversation area and out onto the street...

No comments:

Post a Comment